Saturday, August 25, 2012

How to make a tissue box wrangler

This is my first how-to! I have always dreamed up lots of "inventions", but seldom follow through on them, especially if it is going to involve money. (Like getting an attorney, paying for a patent search, manufacturing, etc. OMG- I'm not that much of a risk taker.) But anyway, I had a problem I really needed to solve. When I'm driving alone in my car, and I suddenly need a tissue- I mean really need one, and someone has moved my tissue box out of my reach cuz like they wanted to sit in the passenger seat or something dumb like that... what do I do? I dreamed this up, made it in a few minutes and tested it on a long road trip where the car was full of junk, there was a shifting ice chest in the back on the floor and all sorts of challenges to the thing's survival. Here is how to make a simple tissue box wrangler for your car:
I had a little of this heavy cloth-backed vinyl in my stash. I cut it to fit, and wrapped it almost all the way around a standard square tissue box. I added 2 pieces of 1" wide elastic to make it fit around it snugly yet be able to slide on and off. I also added a piece of the same elastic across the bottom so that the box wouldn't fall through. I took two more cuts of the elastic (doesn't need to be elastic, but it's nice and stiff and won't just crimp under stress) and sewed them vertically on 2 opposite sides of the holder.
Then I just found an old drawstring from a hoodie or some sweatpants (I never throw these parts away!) that was long enough to go around the box and the console in my car. I made sure the string was placed low enough on the front of the console that it wasn't going to slip up and slide off.
That's it! It did end up resting on the floor a little more than in this picture, but it has stayed in place for months and everyone in the car can now reach a tissue. One of the more important things in life. Smile. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment